Monday, February 14, 2011

Spring Vaccines and Wellness Exams

It appears as if that the only time I ever get a chance to write these days is the month before spring vaccinations and wellness exams begin.  I am not one to make new years resolutions, at least consciously or openly; however, I would like to make a concerted effort to contribute more to the blog in 2011, especially if anyone is reading...

A new horse owner contacted me last week and wanted to learn more about the importance of vaccinations, and more importantly, why she should have a veterinarian administer the vaccines.  She explained that her friend at the barn had informed her that she could easily purchase and administer the vaccines to her horse on her own.

This is a frequently asked question, and one I sincerely continue to enjoy answering.  As each year passes and our world continues to speed along, it is one that I find more and more great examples of the importance of veterinarians' roles in the wellness aspects of horses and their caretaker owners. 

Each spring and fall I enjoy the opportunity to visit clients and their horses for examinations and vaccinations. It is an important meeting for a variety of reasons.  Many horses I may only see twice each year, so these visits allow me time to exam the horse, and address any concerns that the owner may have.  These exams may also reveal other issues that may not be visible to the owner at that time.  It is also a chance to re-visit management strategies including pastures, feeding, and deworming protocols.

In addition to physical examination, I also use these visits to evaluate the horse's teeth.  While this exam is brief, it does allow me the opportunity to discuss concerns related to the teeth.  Many of the horses I look at during these visits do not necessarily need any dental care at that time; however, many could benefit from power dental flotation at some point in a future appointment.

Vaccines are not all created the same.

Vaccines are not all handled the same.

Vaccines may have different results upon administration into the horse, and although rare, some horses may have adverse reactions.  I work very hard to make vaccinating horse a consistent and positive experience.  The vaccines that I administer are available only through licensed veterinarians. They are manufactured to very rigorous testing and purification standards that help to reduce reactions both systemically, and at the injection site.  While reactions do happen, using a vaccine that has been properly manufactured and handled, aids in reducing these issues.  If your horse does have an adverse reaction, the veterinarian is there and able to provide immediate care to your horse. 

I know economics affect all of us, and finding ways to save anywhere we can is important.  I have many great clients that enjoy vaccinating their own horses, and I support owners providing care they feel comfortable administering.  Veterinarians are professionals trained in caring for your horse, and there is tremendous value in allowing your veterinarian the opportunity to assist you in your horse's care. 

Please do not hesitate to contact me, or your veterinarian, with questions regarding vaccinations and wellness examinations.  Take care.















No comments:

Post a Comment